Monday, December 28, 2009

more progress pics

view of the living room. . . nice and open. . . roll up garage door on the opposite side

Sunday, December 27, 2009

progress pics

Since we posted the blog link in the Christmas letter, figured we better post some progress pics . . .

Framing first floor

first second floor wall on an eerie foggy morn

"its going to be tall!"

buttoned up

More pics tomorrow, I promise

Thursday, September 10, 2009

non noblis solum

non noblis solum = not for us alone

We've tried to design a house that is open and functional, creative and can handle lots of people because we believe that it is "not for us alone."

But what is it going to look like? If you've seen some of the other pics, you've probably been wondering if its not just a big box. Yep, that's what it is. Our goal all along has been to build as much square footage for as cheap as we can. Our architect, Jen Martin of Elements Design has clearly helped us achieve that.

Here's a fun rendering of what the outside is going to look like. . . .

  • a big modern barn was the goal
  • straight lines to keep building costs down
  • two stories, 10 foot ceilings on the bottom, 9 foot on the top
  • lots of windows, combination of storefront and aluminum
  • corugated metal siding, with cedar siding
  • 2 big roll-up garage doors, one in the living room and one in the school room

I'll try and upload the floor plan as soon as I can. . . . T.

status update, 09.10.09

We've been so busy vacationing, starting school and trying desperately to stay ahead of the decision curve, that its been difficult to find time to blog.

Here's where we're at. . .
  • Foundation was formed in early August

  • Radiant floor tubing and plumbing was installed and the foundation was poured while we were on vacation August 10 - 20. Septic also installed.

  • Slab "cured" for 3 weeks to prepare for grinding. Well system and electric trenching and piping happened during this time.

  • First week of September my brother chad and his crew (I helped a bit) ground and then polished the downstairs floor to 80% completion. Downstairs polished concrete floors are going to be distinct and amazing. Couldn't have happened without Chad.
  • Windows and doors were ordered this week from Atascadero Glass. Roger Grant has been amazing.

  • Framing started on Tuesday. First floor walls went up today. Breathtaking! General Contractor Kevin Hunstad has been a joy throughout. Open, flexible, creative and budget concious.

Lots more pics have been added to the slideshow in the right margin. Click it to go to Picasa.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Here's a couple of grading pics from today. . . .the property looked pretty different by the end of the day. . . .

things are moving forward

haven't blogged in quite some time, but things are moving forward with our house dream at the WHR. Here's a quick recap of events.

• was approved for our loan in late spring
• selected Kevin Hunstad as our contractor
• firmed up design and plans with our friend, Jen Martin from Elements Design (will post soon)
• drilled the well and found more than enough water in mid-June
• permit was approved in record time, about 3 weeks total, picked it up yesterday
• grading started today!

now the fun, fear and decision-making really start. . . .

not much give in the budget, so we are praying for a smooth, no-surprises building process.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

that stinky brown pond

We're excited about some cousins joining us for the later half of Easter week. I've got my list and I've been trying to use the company as an excuse to get few things done. Tonight after dinner, I decided to quickly bail out the pond. It filled up naturally this winter, but was an ugly brown. The frogs didn't seem to mind, but we started to. After a few consultations with friends, we figured it was the pine needles that had blown into it that were the cause of the brown water. The fix was to empty the pond, clean it out and clean the bottom and fill it back up with water. So I waded in this evening, between downpours, saved a few tadpoles for the new water and started bailing. Before I knew it, I had two helpers, in their boots, too. So it turned into man-time in the pond . . .

It's clean. We'll let it dry for a day, if it doesn't rain tomorrow, then see about adding some clear water, some goldfish, a little aeration and those tadpoles.